Saturday, December 30, 2006

BBQ Weekend 2005

Date: August BBQ 2005
Boat: Taransay Moor, Westerly

Trip:
Portsmouth; Cowes; Folley; Portsmouth

Days: 3
Skipper: Colin Shiret
Crew: Sandi Sherit; Nigel & Sandra

Colin and Nigel bask in the Bank Holiday sunshine

The BBQ weekend had perfect weather for the annual trip to the Island. This is my first trip on Taransay Moor and Colin, Sandi and their friends make me welcome. Taransay is an unusual configuration (to me at least) having a very deep main cabin and a Mizzen mast. As we approach the Folly a number of Ashdown boats are already tied up when Colin suggests I may like to helm for the arrival. I reluctantly agree, I would like the chance to try but at the same time the thought of the possibility of crashing Taransay, not just against a pontoon (bad enough) but against two other Ashdown boats with half the club watching is a little intimidating. However with Colin's guidance I manage to maneuver into the L shaped raft without incident, although Gerry next in line may have been worried about running out of fuel as I took my time about it.

The BBQ is held in the wood behind the Folly Inn where the kids have trouble getting the 'adults' off the rope swing that John has rigged.


A Thames Barge enjoys the Solent during the BBQ weekend 2005

No comments: